Michael C. Morris, M.D.
General, Laparoscopic & Bariatric Surgeon
Dr. Michael Morris was born and raised in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains of eastern Kentucky. The third son of tobacco farmers and elementary school teachers, in an impoverished region, he was very fortunate to learn from an early age not only the value of an education but also a hard day’s work.
- “These values which allowed me to realize my dreams, I utilize in my everyday practice to my patient’s benefit. My surgical practice has deep roots based in honesty and service for the benefit of those who choose to trust me. I always say there are a couple reasons why you have to trust your surgeon: first he holds a knife and secondly, he should have only your best interests in mind because at the time of surgery your surgeon’s voice is your voice and only your interests are your surgeon’s interests.
I was very fortunate in life, but fortune favors the prepared. Taking back the control in your life is a difficult journey. It’s a process that requires assistance. It’s a process that will take you from ‘the supported’ to ‘the supporter’ a unique but powerful tool to actually help others along their journey. This is our program approach.
Laredo is where I have decided to call home, where my children go to school and where I envision seeing them grow. My commitment has been made.”
Dr. Morris attended Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara’s School of Medicine where he obtained his Professional Title as Médico Cirujano. The New York Medical College granted him a Medical Doctor degree after finishing one year of Internship in Manhattan, NY. Then he completed his general surgery residency and one year fellowship in laparoscopic and bariatric surgery at the Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, New York.
Dr. Morris is a Board Certified General Surgeon licensed in the states of New York and Texas. He is certified on both Advanced Cardiac and Trauma Life Support. He’s the Trauma Director, Sub-director of ICU and Medical Director of Bariatrics at the Laredo Medical Center.
He is a member of the following associations:
- American Board of Surgery www.absurgery.org
- American College of Surgeons www.facs.org
- American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery www.asbs.org
- International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity www.obesity-online.com/ifso/
- The Society or American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons www.sages.org
- Texas Medical Association www.texmed.org
- Webb County Medical Society
- New York Medical College Surgical Society www.nymc.edu
Dr. Morris practices general, laparoscopic and bariatric surgery. He has a deep sense of community and believes in broad scope of practice in order to treat the patient’s needs. Through a continuous commitment to surgical education and technology, he’s has traveled extensively in the United States and the world for advanced-level training in order to deliver cutting-edge modernized patient care.
Some of his latest training includes:
- Lap-Band®, Advanced Laparoscopic Fellowship Program in Chicago, Illinois.
- Covidien VATS Course, Covidien Training Facility in Norwalk, Connecticut.
- Advanced Surgical Training Workshop, Covidien Global Training Centre in Elancourt, France.
- Bariatric Fellows Forum, Ethicon Endo-Surgery Institute in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Inguinal Hernia Workshop, Covidien Training Facility in Norwalk, Connecticut.
- Advanced Laparoscopic Hernia Surgery Workshop, Covidien Training Facility in Norwalk, Connecticut.
- Laparoscopic Colon and Rectal Surgery Course, Cornell University in Manhattan, New York.
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy Course, Cornell University in Manhattan, New York.